With the rising cost of heating bills solar heat pumps may be the way to go to help stretch that all-important dollar. However, before buying a system one should first do some research and learn exactly what they are buying.
A solar heat pump will waste minimal energy while heating or cooling a home. It is a great alternative to air conditioning and furnaces for most homes. Instead of using a lot of power to generate heat, this type of system simply relocates it. During the summer, heat is moved out of an area to cool it, and a heat transfer in the opposite direction is performed during winter to warm an area up.
Some of the advantages of choosing a solar heat pump system over your more traditional heating and cooling sources include:
- Emissions - By using solar energy for water heating as opposed to oil or coal, a solar heat pump greatly reduces carbon dioxide emissions.
- Low running costs - These systems have very low running costs and few maintenance costs.
- Installation - It is easy to install.
- Power - One can be used where only a small amount of power is available.
- Size - Solar heat pumps can be used to heat homes as well as large buildings.
- Solar energy and air - Solar energy is the main heat source for a solar heat pump, but the surrounding air also plays a role. Both of these come from a practically inexhaustible supply.
- Low solar radiation - The pump continues working even while solar radiation is quite low. They can operate in overcast conditions and at night.
As stated above with the low cost of upkeep and purchase a solar heat pump will quickly pay for itself. So for people who have already decided to live off the grid this could be a great alternative that can reduce their dependency on propane or oil.
Installation of these pumps is relatively easy, but if you are having difficulties you can always consult a professional. It is better for your investment to have the system installed properly in the first place instead of having to purchase a new one due to improper installation. After all you are making an investment into the future of the planet and yourself, so it may be worth a few extra dollars to get the job done right in the beginning so that you can avoid costly problems later.
Solar heat pumps are a reasonable alternative to the more traditional styles of heating and cooling and in most cases are worth doing further research to find out which model will work best for your particular situation.
This article on solar heat pumps was supplied by the freelance writer Blizzerand.